Monday, March 29, 2010

R.I.N.D.S. contain no user serviceable parts

I'm reconsidering giving Chloë sippy cups. Nursing has been more or less of a delight since we got over the underfed/jaundiced/tongue thrust/jaw drop/extreme pain thing. (Pumping is getting old, but nursing is fine. Also, I've been doing stretches and simple exercises while pumping at work, and that's kind of nice.) Chloë has shown no interest in biting me as of yet, and while we've sadly outgrown the football position, cross-cradle and side-lying and, lately, plain cradle have worked out just fine, even in the cramped chair at daycare.

However, I'm having a problem nobody warned me about, which is: Chloë is now treating the R.I.N.D.S. like sippy cups--specifically, as if they have handles. She digs her little fingers in and twists and grips, and while I can deal with that once in a while she does it over and over, and if she doesn't cut it out she's going to put the R.I.N.D.S. out of commission.

So tonight whenever she did it I removed her hand and said "no." This confused her. This annoyed her. She cried, which hardly ever happens while nursing (except when we switch sides. Even though we do it every. single. time. we nurse, she still gets upset), and I felt bad about changing things on her and disrupting her meal. But she's got to learn that R.I.N.D.S. were never meant to be user-modifiable.

No comments: