Sunday, May 22, 2011

Music to my ears

Chloë has started to sing. It's very short, hesitant phrases now, reminding me of when she first started to laugh. One of her favorite shows is Sesame Street's "Going Green," known in our household as "Green Elmo." We have this whole coding scheme for her videos. There's Number Show, Monkey Show, Sky Babies, Water Babies, Color Babies, Flower Babies, Big Bird, Elmo, and Green Elmo. Oh, and Snowman Show, by which she means the Baby Einstein Christmas video, which we stopped showing her long before she could say either "snowman" or "show" (and don't let her watch now) but evidently she remembers it.

Ahem. Anyway, Green Elmo contains a number of songs on the subject of saving the Earth. One of them contains the line "You and me Earth, we're best friends," and I heard her softly singing "Hue me Errr," after it came on. I sang it for her, and she beamed at me and said, as she does lately for anything upon which she looks favorably, "One more time?" We did the same thing with a later song. I love her baby singing. I sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" when we were working on dinner (after a ridiculous meltdown about whether she could have the entire pancake or just a bite) and she loved it. I can't wait to share my favorite childhood songs with her.

(Not music to my ears: Maia's crying whenever she isn't eating or sleeping. For a while she seemed simply to be hungry all the time. Now she's just cranky all the time. I caught myself thinking tonight during dinner, which she slept through, how nice it would be if she never woke up. Which I didn't mean literally, of course, but...yeah. Silence is nice.)

No comments: