Thursday, December 4, 2008

Symptoms they don't tell you about

I haven't had many pregnancy symptoms so far. Some *WARNING: GRAPHIC GIRL CONTENT* breast soreness and, er, slight leakiness other places, and perhaps a heightened awareness that there are working parts down there, *END GRAPHIC GIRL CONTENT* but no excessive tiredness or nausea as I'd been warned to expect, especially by my poor friend Courtney, who was alerted to the thought it might be a good idea to take a pregnancy test when she started throwing up after breakfast for no reason at about five weeks.

My newfound preoccupation with cooking may or may not be a symptom, since I've also been feeling kind of deprived of my usual cooking outlet--Eric hasn't been going to his normal weekly gaming night, so I don't get a cooking night to myself anymore. I may have detected a new one, though: excessive weepiness when listening to sentimental music. "Christmas Eve and Other Stories," specifically, by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I like this CD a lot, but the story parts are deliberately, unsubtly sentimental. In previous years that hasn't bothered me; but I put the CD in my car recently and started tearing up as soon as I got to the first story bit ("Ornament"). It was extremely annoying, especially since I was on my way to work at the time.

Desire to buy things might be another symptom...although I'm not feeling any desire to buy baby stuff specifically, so maybe that's just a symptom of the Christmas season. This will be our last babyless Christmas (unless something happens). Fa-la-la-la-la.

No comments: