Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Biting off more than we can chew

Chloe's fourth tooth is coming in now, a small off-white blob at the top of her mouth. She's loving these teeth. Normally I don’t have breakfast at home, but she woke me up at six and I was hungry, so we shared a piece of bread this morning. We sat on the living room floor, and I pulled off a couple of bean-sized bits for her. She accepted them, but then she wanted to get her own, so I let her pull off her own piece from my slice. While she ate that, I took a bite. Her eyes followed the bread as it went up to my mouth and down again, and then she was on it, chomping a bite for herself.

Her checkup last Friday went very well. She was 21 lb., 13 oz., down to 90th percentile for weight instead of 95th, which the doctor approved. She's still solidly 50th for height and 75th for head. She's developing perfectly and doing just fine except for an ear infection. I felt bad about not knowing this; but when she hasn't been irritable or feverish how were we supposed to know? She has pulled at her ears occasionally, but she's been doing that for months. The doctor gave us a prescription for antibiotics, but suggested waiting to see if the infection actually starts to bother her before filling it. That's what we're doing.

So far she hasn't seemed to have gotten any worse, except maybe for one thing. She's been waking up in the middle of the night and standing up and screaming instead of going back to sleep as she normally does. This started when we were at Penguicon for the weekend, in a hotel room where I didn't want to let her scream for fear of disturbing our neighbors, so it could be that she's taking advantage of the inch I gave; or she could be having trouble sleeping due to earache. It probably doesn't make a difference, but I'd be less grumpy at being woken at two every night this week. We've been starting to think that maybe a second overlord wouldn't be so bad sometime (until they destroy the Earth in their sibling rivalry, that is), but now I'm remembering the sleep deprivation and I'm not so sure.

No comments: