Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hiccups

I rolled onto my back this morning (not as desirable as it used to be; lower-back pain is starting to hint that it would like to be paid some attention) and checked to see if L.E.O. was awake. Thump...thump...thump. "I think she has the hiccups," I said.

Eric put his hand on my abdomen to see. "Whoa," he said, removing it when it got soundly kicked. We both watched as something rolled and pulsed under my skin. "What do you think this is?" I demanded. "A party?" But on reflection, I'm sure L.E.O. was probably just consolidating some plans to kidnap the world's premier doctors and scientists when she gets out to figure out a cure for hiccups.

2 comments:

Carol said...

What's really funny is when the fetus gets the hiccups at the same time every day. Z did - 10pm. You'll probably notice some kind of pattern to LEO's wakings, movings, hiccups, etc eventually.

Also, just read yesterday that hiccups in newborns can be a sign that they are overstimulated... Elinor seems to be more sensitive to stimuli than Z was so this proving helpful to know already.

Unknown said...

That's interesting--I wonder what could cause it. I'm noticing peak movement times, but no other patterns yet.